Monday, November 25, 2013

Goodbye Norway

Hei hei! I thought it fitting to begin my last post from Norway with some Norwegian- so there you go, the simplest of phrases I learned. And- I learned some others: Neste holdeplass (next stop- the bus driver says this every stop), tusen takk (thank you very much), vær så god (you're welcome), and a bunch of random words. Okay, not so good for being here for almost four months.

All in all, my trip was very productive, successful, enjoyable, and quite amazing. I met so many new friends from all over the world, and I completed a large portion of my dissertation proposal. I have set my proposal date in Tucson for January 22nd. My first two papers use nationally representative data from both the United States and Norway. The third paper uses data from a study my advisor has created and received more than a million dollars to conduct. Exciting stuff!

The weather here has taken a turn for the worse-- and apparently it's not even that bad yet. The dark is finally getting to me: when the sun is out (not often), it is only up for 5 hours. So basically I feel like it is bedtime at 6pm. I'll be happy to escape to Copenhagen, Madrid, and Paris. I have decided to couch surf (couchsurfing.com) for several days in Copenhagen and Madrid - let's see how that goes.

Stay tuned for some cool stories from those three cities, and enjoy these snowy cold photos in the meantime. :)

Taco night is a Norwegian family tradition on Friday's

Snowy fountain outside of my apartment/hotel building

Snow covered bushes outside of my office

Snow covered tree outside of my office

My resident permit came on the last day possible - now I'm legal (finally)

No comments:

Post a Comment